Design Inspiration for 2020
What inspires you?
At Custom Drapery Designs, we’ve got a board full of answers for that question.
Brenda Baxter, owner and principal designer, and Stephanie Freeman, senior design consultant, bring a variety of inspiration and influence to CDD’s designs. Their experiences, opportunities and favorite things combine to make the team’s creativity boundless.
During the holidays, they reflected on each of these personal touches and then brought them to Kennedy Baxter, a junior biomedical science major at Texas A&M and Brenda’s daughter. She pulled them together on a board created to drive designs in the new year—CDD’s Inspiration for 2020: Elements, Experiences and Textures Which Inspire Our Creativity.
Each aspect of this board reflects something different that lends to the unique designs CDD has become known for over the years. Brenda and Stephanie have similarities as well in what inspires them. Family, art and travel make both of their lists and drive them to infuse passion, variety and purpose in their work.
- My mom was a key influencer with her natural eye for design and all things beautiful. She designed a classic elegant home and was passionate about gardening and fashion, which was a huge influence.
- I included an image of me as a child attempting to mow the lawn—I was determined even as a child!
- Passport for the love of travel to various countries revealing amazing architecture, gardens, design and art—which enhances our love for texture, color and creativity.
- Passionate about texture, textiles, color and combinations of all.
- Three-dimensional art and out-of-the box thinking.
- Meeting clients and hearing their stories.
- Family means a great deal. As a young mom growing the business—available, engaged and involved. Now, as my children are now grown adults, the joy of sharing memories and laughter together.
- The love for food and wine and dinners with friends.
- The love for fashion, the arts, classic old movies—Ralph Lauren, Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel, Christian Dior, vintage haute couture, Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn.
- Inspirational quotes.
- Podcasts and continuous training.
- Markets and Expos with industry friends.
- Travel. I love seeing new things and new places.
- Textiles of all types.
- My family, especially my teenage daughter. I love showing her women can love their jobs, be successful and still be an involved parent.
- The “arts”—I especially love musicals, museums and jazz.
- People. One of my favorite aspects of this job is meeting new people of all sorts.
- More favorite things than bullet points can contain, so … how about a song?